Journalism students scavenge campus during orientation

A scavenger hunt, in which groups of new journalism students located and then photographed themselves in front of campus landmarks, was one of the highlights of this year’s orientation session for the two-year SAIT Polytechnic program.

A small gallery of the “selfies” — pictures that students took of themselves using smartphones — is below.

Caffeinated: First-year journalism students pose for a smartphone group picture in front of Starbucks in the Aldred Centre. (Photo by Allyssa Cinnamon/SAIT Polytechnic)

Thumbs Up: Student Services inside Heritage Hall serves as the backdrop for this group self-portrait. (Photo by Marcella Serink/SAIT Polytechnic)

Great Outdoors: A furrowed brow in the foreground anchors this self-shot frame, taken in front of the E.H. Crandell Building. (Photo by Jaimee Turner/SAIT Polytechnic)

Caffeinated: The Weal was one of the locations in the scavenger hunt. SAIT's student newspaper is located in the Campus Centre. (Photo by Jordyn Thomson/SAIT Polytechnic)

Expressive: These students stop for a photo in front of The Weal, one of the locations in the scavenger hunt. SAIT’s student newspaper is located in the Campus Centre. (Photo by Jordyn Thomson/SAIT Polytechnic)

When not cruising around campus, students got an introduction to the program inside Heritage Hall.

In Attendance: Sandra Lee, SAIT's academic chair for journalism, addresses new students during orientation at Heritage Hall. (Photo by Rob Galbraith/SAIT Polytechnic)

In Attendance: Sandra Lee, SAIT’s academic chair for journalism, addresses new students during orientation at Heritage Hall. (Photo by Rob Galbraith/SAIT Polytechnic)

Orientation was held on August 29, 2013.